/ Bearing Down: losing things...

Sunday, March 22, 2009

losing things...


Some time ago, we bought two keychains with very visible, colored Dubai labeled straps. One, I used for my car keys and the other we used on Vivian's water bottle. Weird thing though...

After spending a couple of hours in the mall, we decided to go home but on the way back to the car, I realized I had lost my car keys. I spent almost an hour looking for the keys everywhere we had been to that day - the parking lot, shops, restaurants, bathrooms, bookstores. All this time though, I realized, I wasn't really that worried. I was miffed, mind, with the forseeable trouble of having to hitch a ride with our friends (thanks much to the Velardes by the way) and having to drive back, calling on our landlord to open the apartment and get the extra car keys - and, of course, the non-stop ribbing I'd get from my wife for losing it in the first place - but I wasn't worried I'd like lose the car or that the lost key wouldn't eventually turn up. Luckily enough, we eventually found the mall security guy who found and picked it up from the parking lot. I guess I dropped it on the way in to the mall. If this was Manila, the car would've probably been long gone and I wouldn't have even realized I lost the keys yet.

The very next day, picking Vivian up from school during home-time. She also realized she'd misplaced her water bottle. The wife and Viv tried to figure out where it could be - going to some other places inside the school. Meanwhile, I thought of going to Vivian's class room and true enough, the water bottle was there.

So, the tale of the two keychain straps continues...we haven't chucked them away or anything but one does wonder...hmm.

*an interesting side note - during the car key saga, it was notable that even the people we asked had a common vibe - that we would eventually get it back somehow. it was even notable among Filipinos we asked. whether this is driven or influenced by local laws or not, the positivity was enough to keep one calm and far from frantic. if only somehow Filipinos would be like this even back home...

No comments: