/ Bearing Down: Amazon & Aramex

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Amazon & Aramex

Tried for the first time ordering online while here in Oman. Back in Manila, I had Johnny Air who gave me my US Address for free and just charged me for shipping at low enough rates... low rates compared to here anyways. We took the plunge and subscribed to Aramex's Shop N Ship for a one-time fee of 17USD (discounted 50%) and got us an address in both US and UK. Ordered several books and a networking tool kit (for work) from Amazon UK and US and tried out the service.

The shipping time wasn't so bad. The fees were not as low I'd wanted them to be...the shipping of one book cost more than the book itself (boo!) The test wasn't so good though since the books came from different Amazon merchants so they arrived at my UK mailbox in separate shipments. So, naturally, Aramex shipped them across to Muscat in separate shipments also - I asked but they couldn't hold off on shipping to wait for all of them to come in at one time. Any case, the wife and I got our books safe and sound. The tool kit arrived at the office intact. I tried out the Amazon Prime option (note: the US and UK subscriptions are separate agreements ipso facto separate subscriptions costs) and I'd forgotten the one-month free trial was up and got automatically billed the yearly subscription. One can still cancel and get the refund but better to just unsubscribe right after the trial run...lessens the hassle. Might keep mine though... wonder how much it'll cost for the lens... :D

No comments: