/ Bearing Down: Independence

Friday, April 30, 2010

Independence

Sometime start of the school year '09, as we take the usual drive to school in the morning, the little girl says to me , 'daddy can you just drop me off at the drop off lane?'. I say no, I have to take you inside and make sure your ok, your still too young but eventually, I'll let you, don't worry.

Fast forward to term 3, about two weeks in, we were running late that morning and parking was full already. I figured it was time. So, I tell her I'll drop her off at the lane and that she should take care going in. Her eyes pop up with glee; gets herself and her things ready; comes down from the car; gives me a kiss and walks off to the gate all on her own. Watching her walk off, I feel a tear inside my chest. As I drive past the gate she came in, I see her stop mid-stride, half-turn and give me flying kiss and a wave. oh my-not-so-little girl...

No comments: