During my desert stints, I have had the benefit of experiencing (on four separate occasions) the traditional Omani dinner. I was told it was called 'debeha', self-spelled phonetically so I apologize if I am spelling it wrong.
It was really a special experience in that in all these, I saw not just a group of people eating food but a community of workers moving beyond mere work affiliations. These are people trying to make the most out of a rough working environment away from their families and establish deep relations with the other people whom they not only depend on for their work but even for their lives and safety.
The food itself was simply great. The first one I attended in Bahja, I had the pleasure of trying out camel meat for the very first time. I was apprehensive at first but the meal was simply great. The meat was tender and cooked just right...it was an amazing experience. The other occasions in Marmul were either of goat or fish and they again were cooked to perfection. I wasn't too crazy about the chili sauce but only because it was making me sweat a lot. As seen in the picture, 5 or 6 people group together in one mat and share a big circular pan of rice topped with the cooked meat. 
The group then shares the meal over the same pan using one's own hands. The group tries its best to finish off everything on the pan but often times (at least the ones I have been a part of), a good amount is left over from every pan. This will forever be etched in my memories and so will the friends I've met along the way.

2 comments:
Good spread! Wonder when we can see you in traditional garb? :)
not likely anytime soon...the garb is called dish-dasha. there are things hidden underneath it that require special training (some knots on the wraps/undergarments or suchlike). I was sticking out like a sore thumb wasn't I? :) hehe
Post a Comment